Technical Support Engineer
Chicago IL or Montreal, QC
The Technical Support Engineer* (TSE) advises on the triage of reported issues or desired functionality, providing solutions to customers. Experienced TSEs with expertise in video ecosystems will also be responsible for systems analysis, scripting, replication, and general video workflow consulting involving hardware and/or software. The TSE will also collaborate with level 3 Support Engineers, Sales Engineering, and Product Management, to advocate for Haivision’s partners’ workflows and ecosystems.
Only candidates with a solid working knowledge of Linux and experience with LAN/WAN video distribution technologies, IP video systems expertise, internet infrastructure, network expertise, and troubleshooting will be considered. This position requires participation in rotational, on-call or after-hours shifts (compensated).
- Act as first response to incoming calls and web-based and/or email generated tickets.
- Perform case triage, gathering information supporting the customers’ use case and reported issues, if any.
- Gather initial info to properly move the case along. Such as version number, logs, network topology, etc.
- Diagnose, update, and fix customer issues remotely via SSH, RDP, or other remote access protocols, along with providing phone, email support and guidance.
- Provide guidance to customers through corrective steps by identifying proper configurations, SW/FW versioning, and researching reported issues.
- Document all transactions with customers to develop case data.
- Ensure customer requests are documented, tracked and resolved in a timely manner to maintain customer satisfaction and escalate urgent problems requiring more expertise.
- More experienced Specialists will also be responsible for the following, and must be available to travel up to 10% of the time in support of pre-sales and post-sales activities
- Providing on-site or online technical training to partners and end-users on Haivision solutions.
- Assisting with pre-sale engineering review of large projects.
- Complete other duties as required.
Skills and Qualifications
- University degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent combination of technical training and work experience.
- A proven history of directly supporting customer relationships in technical applications, is required. A background in Technical Support, Account Management or Sales Engineering is preferred.
- Linux CLI administration, networking administration principles and practices are absolute musts, or knowledge of UNIX in lieu.
- Hands-on expertise with UDP, TCP, RTP and other video protocols.
- Good understanding of Real-time transport protocols such as RTP, MPEG2-TS, RTMP, HLS and HDS, and Session protocols such as SIP and STSP.
- Knowledge of analog and digital audiovisual standards and compression technologies like MPEG-2, MPEG-4/H.264 and HEVC.
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong customer service skills are essential.
- Strong trouble-shooting and diagnostic skills.
- Experience using various network troubleshooting tools such as Wireshark, Traceroute, Netstat, Nslookup, etc.
- Self-starter with ability to work with minimal supervision and the desire to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Adaptability and flexibility to change and openness to learn new skills as required.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Fluency in other languages is considered a definite asset.
*Only those who are a member of the OIQ will be allowed to hold the title of Engineer. Non-OIQ members will assume the title of Technical Support Specialist or Expert, depending on their level of expertise.