Pro Tips for Play Pro: How to Watch SRT Streams on a Mobile Device Using QuickPlay
Are you looking for an easy way to use the SRT protocol in your video streaming workflows? Haivision Play Pro is a free mobile app for iOS and Android that allows you to watch live SRT feeds and even contribute live SRT streams directly from your mobile device. In our Pro Tips for Play Pro blog series, we’ll guide you through what you need to know in order to make the most out of Play Pro, with blog posts outlining:
- How to watch low latency SRT streams on your mobile device with QuickPlay
- How to group multiple feeds into custom lineups to access streams all in one place
- How to use your mobile device as a live source for video contribution
- How to export custom lineups to share groups of streams across your organization
- How to easily configure and share Play Pro app settings using Playmaker
Let’s start with the QuickPlay feature.
Watching an SRT Stream Using QuickPlay
Play Pro’s QuickPlay feature gives you a way to securely watch SRT streams. This allows Play Pro to be used in a variety of broadcast workflows, including to monitor return program feeds on location by journalists, or by remote team members to see live feeds (including multiviewers) in decentralized collaborative workflows.
Empower Production Personnel and Decision Makers
The QuickPlay feature helps key production personnel and other members of your production team to collaborate remotely in real-time. Play Pro and the SRT protocol gives remote talent, directors, and producers a reliable way to see live feeds during broadcasts at very low latency
What You Need to Know
To play an SRT stream using the QuickPlay feature, you’ll need to know some information about where your SRT stream is coming from: IP address, port number, the SRT mode (Caller, Listener or Rendezvous) and if encryption is enabled. Once you have this information, follow these steps:
- From the Home screen, tap Play an SRT Stream
- Select the appropriate SRT Mode (Caller, Listener, Rendezvous)
- Enter the URL or IP Address and then the Port
- Set the SRT Latency in milliseconds
- Once you’ve entered all the information, tap Play
If necessary, the SRT latency can be adjusted, which is useful if you’re streaming over a very congested network or one with unpredictable performance. The default latency value is 50 milliseconds. If your stream is experiencing jitter or packet loss when you first try to play it, return to the settings and try increasing the latency to 200 milliseconds or more.
You can now quickly watch low latency SRT streams directly on your phone!
Haivision Play Pro – The Definitive, FREE, Mobile SRT Player
The SRT Protocol protects against jitter, packet loss and bandwidth fluctuation, ensuring the best possible viewing experience – even over unpredictable networks like the public internet. With Play Pro, experience the reliability and resiliency of SRT on your mobile device, no matter where you are!