Pro Tips for Play Pro: How to Use Your Mobile Device as a Live Source for Video Contribution
Are you looking for an easy way to use the SRT protocol in your video streaming workflows? Haivision Play Pro is a free mobile app for iOS and Android that allows you to watch live SRT feeds and even contribute live SRT streams directly from your mobile device. In our Pro Tips for Play Pro blog series, we’ll guide you through what you need to know in order to make the most out of Play Pro, with blog posts outlining:
- How to watch low latency SRT streams on your mobile device with QuickPlay
- How to group multiple feeds into custom lineups to access streams all in one place
- How to use your mobile device as a live source for video contribution
- How to export custom lineups to share groups of streams across your organization
- How to easily configure and share Play Pro app settings using Playmaker
Now let’s go over how to use Play Pro to stream live video.
Create Live SRT Streams Using Your Mobile Phone’s Camera
With Play Pro’s Stream feature, your mobile phone is instantly transformed into a low latency contribution source. It’s the easiest way of getting an SRT stream into a live video workflow when using live production software like OBS or vMix for producing live streaming content. This makes Play Pro a cost-effective alternative to deploying equipment and resources at remote event locations.
To stream live using your mobile device’s camera, here’s what you need to do:
- From the Home screen, tap Configure your Services
- Select Add Services
- Tap the + icon above Set up a Local Lineup Channel List
- Give it a name and then click Next
- Click Add to create a channel
- Fill in the Channel Nickname and Description
- Set the function to Stream
- From here, you can set the Video Bitrate, Audio Bitrate, Resolution, and Frame Rate
- Choose your codec, either 264 or HEVC
- Set the protocol to SRT and choose your SRT Mode: Caller, Listener or Rendezvous
- Now, you need to enter information about where you are streaming to: IP Address or URL and Local Port
- You can also enable Encryption, and adjust the SRT Latency
- Once you’ve finished setting up the channel, tap Save
You can now stream live by swiping right and clicking on your new channel in the Browser menu on the left!
Haivision Play Pro – The Definitive, FREE, Mobile SRT Player
The SRT Protocol protects against jitter, packet loss and bandwidth fluctuation, ensuring the best possible viewing experience – even over unpredictable networks like the public internet. With Play Pro, experience the reliability and resiliency of SRT on your mobile device, no matter where you are!